What are you passionate about? Does it have anything to do with how you earn your income?

It’s probably a bit un-Australian to be passionate about anything - except sport of course - so the concept of being passionate about earning income or accumulating wealth may be foreign to many. For those, it’s a case of “It’d be good if it happens but buying a lotto ticket is almost too much effort”.

Blog: What are you passionate about?

What are you passionate about? Does it have anything to do with how you earn your income?

It’s probably a bit un-Australian to be passionate about anything - except sport of course - so the concept of being passionate about earning income or accumulating wealth may be foreign to many. For those, it’s a case of “It’d be good if it happens but buying a lotto ticket is almost too much effort”.

Others are passionate, but the object of their passion is not commercially viable so the same outcome is reached.

Over the weekend, I read a book by Tom Corley entitled Rich Habits. (It’s only a 90 page book so it wasn’t a major part of my weekend!) The book is based on a survey Corley conducted of the daily habits of the rich compared to the not-so-rich.

One of his findings was particularly relevant to this discussion – he found that 86% of the self-made millionaires in the survey were passionate about their work. This is hardly surprising!. What was surprising was that those were really only passionate about 25% of their work. The other 75% was the daily grind. Despite the fact that the majority of the work was not interesting or stimulating, these successful people were (overall) able to be passionate about it.

For me, the important point here is that whether you are employed or in business, identifying the 25% that gets you excited about your work will help you endure the more tedious aspects of your working day and lead you to success.

It is very easy to focus on the 75% and allow that to define our income earning activity. The problem customer, the annoying team mate, the interfering boss can all combine to convince us that success is making it to retirement!

Instead, focus on the great outcome you achieve for a client, the confidence you help a customer gain through a new outfit or hairstyle, the improved financial position achieved through an appropriate investment or even the peace of mind you offer others facing tough times.

I realise that this reads like a “glass half full” rant but the exciting thing is that (maybe), the glass only needs to be a quarter full!

So, think seriously about your working day. Can you say that you are passionate about what you are doing at least 25% of the time? If you aren’t, Tom Corley for one would suggest that you are unlikely to succeed financially. Do you agree?